Nay Pyi Taw December 5
A ceremony to open new Gan-dakuti chamber, where the Buddha’s replica tooth relic and sacred relics will be kept, donated by fami-lies of the Tatmadaw (Army, Navy and Air), well-wishers and local ethnics at Thiri Mingala Manhsu Shan Monastery in Lashio, Shan State (North), took place this morn-ing in conjunction with a ceremony to convey those relics.
Present on the occasion were five members of the Sangha led by State Ovdacariya Maha Bawdayon Monastery in Lashio Sayadaw Maha Ganthavacaka Pandita Bhaddanta Narada, Commander-in-Chief of Defence Services Senior General Min Aung Hlaing, Union Ministers Lt-Gen Soe Htut and Lt-Gen Ye Aung, Commander-in-Chief (Navy) Admiral Tin Aung San, Comman-der-in-Chief (Air) General Maung Maung Kyaw, senior military officers from the Office of the Commanderin-Chief (Army), North-East Com-mand Commander Maj-Gen Aung Zaw Aye and members.
The ceremony was opened with a three-time recitation of Namo Tassa and the congregation received the Five Precepts from Sayadaw Bhaddanta Narada. Next, the Saya-daw and members of the Sangha recited the Parittas.
As the Senior General offered alms to Maha Bawdayon Sayadaw, Manshu Shan Monastery Sayadaw returned a certificate of honour. The Union ministers and senior military officers presented offertories to members of the Sangha.
Next, State Central Working Committee of the Sangha Zabu Aye AT TatU Monastery Sayadaw Agga Maha Pandita Bhaddanta Ottama delivered a sermon and the congregation shared merits gained.
Then, the Sayadaws were ushered to the Thiri Thukha building. Lashio Township Sangha Nayaka Committee Chairman Thiri Mingala Manhsu Shan Monastery Sayadaw Agga Maha Saddhamma Jotikadhaja Bhaddanta Punnananda recited the Gatha to convey the sacred relics. The Senior General conveyed the Buddha’s replica tooth relics and the Union ministers and senior military officers the sacred relics. The relics were then placed in the temporary building.
The Senior General pressed the button to open the Gandakuti chamber where the relics will be kept. The donation signboard and the stone plaque were inaugurated and sprayed with scented water. The scared relics were conveyed to the Gandakuti chamber where the Senior General offered alms in the emerald alms-bowl, fruits and water. The Manhsu Shan Monastery Sayadaw presented a Dhamma gift to the Senior General.
The Senior General and party looked round the Gandakuti cham-ber and wrote in the visitors’ book expressing “much delight and taking honour for having the meritorious chance to donate the building and sacred relics for public obeisance.The Senior General prayed for perpetual existence of Buddhism”. As a gesture of hailing the success of building the Gandakuti chamber, architects U Sai Tun Hlaing and his group were presented with a certificate of honour. Then, the Union ministers and senior military officers also wrote in the visitors’ book.
A Gangaw tree was planted and the bell run to hail the success of the ceremony. Next, rituals of golden and silver showers were performed and the ceremony came to an end with a three-time recitation of Buddha Sasanam Ciram Titthatu.
After the ceremony, the Senior General and well-wishers offered a meal to the Sayadaws and members of the Sangha.
Previously, Thiri Mingala Manhsu Shan Monastery was small and less known. After successive abbots had resided at the monastery, Sayadaw U Pannita, a close disciple of the Kanmein Monastery Sayadaw, was asked to reside there in 1348 ME. U Pannita and Ashin Punnananda from Panglong in Shan State (South) had close relations. So, at the request of the former, they both started residing together at the monastery in 1349 ME. Thanks to the power and glory of the Manhsu Hsutaungpyae Pagoda and the visionary of Sayadaw Ashin Punnananda, the monastery was visited by title-recipient Sayadaws and influential persons. After Sayadaw U Pannita passed away in 1367, Sayadaw Ashin Punnananda became the abbot. Since then, he has been working steadfastly on religious and social affairs and for the propagation of the Sasana. As the families of the Tatmadaw (Army, Navy and Air), well-wishers and local ethnics donated and opened the new Gandakuti chamber today, people will be able to pay homage to the Buddha’s replica tooth relics and sacred relics.